A practice nurse will be involved in almost every aspect of patient care and treatment, undertaking such tasks as:
- Treating small injuries
- Helping with minor operations done under local anaesthetic
- Helping people manage long term conditions
- Health screening
- Family planning
- Running vaccination programmes (e.g. against flu)
- Running programmes to help people to stop smoking.
Health Care Assistant
Healthcare assistants are an integral part of the team. They assist the GPs and practice nurse team in the service and delivery of the care management of the practice population.
Tasks may include:
- blood pressure management
- recording ECGs and
- health promotion such as smoking cessation.